Planning ahead can remove much of the stress involved in moving home. We have prepared a handy moving check list to assist you in preparing for your move.
One Month before Moving
Pick up a Change-of-Address Kit from the Post Office and fill it out:
- Friends and family
- Insurance companies
- Credit card companies
- Magazines and newspapers – cancel local newspaper delivery
- Doctors, dentists and other providers – transfer drug prescriptions
Take a look around the house. Start to think about what you don’t want to take with you.
- Use up perishable foods
- Sell, donate or hold a garage sale for unwanted items
Prepare a list of what you want to move.
- Large appliances?
- Outdoor furniture?
Order packing supplies:
- Packing tape
- Packing paper
Start packing boxes. Mark boxes clearly as to contents and room to be placed in. Mark “Open First” clearly on boxes containing important items to be unpacked first:
- Pots and pans
- Alarm clock
- Special toys
- Light bulbs
- Tools – hammer, pliers, wrench
Make arrangements for picking up your important records:
- Optician, optometrist
Contact your child’s new school and notify them of your upcoming move to their area.
Two Weeks before Moving
Pack your vital documents in one place:
- Military records
- Mortgage records
- Marriage license
- Birth certificates
- Vehicle titles
- Stock certificates
- Insurance papers
- Bank records
- School records
- Medical records
- Tax records
Make arrangements to disconnect your utilities. Get refunds for any deposits made. Have meters read. Give new address for them to send their final bill:
Make arrangements to connect utilities at your new residence.
Make arrangements for cleaning
Check with your insurance company about transferring coverage to your new home.
Arrange to have a sitter watch your children at their house on moving day.
One Week before Moving
Plan what goes in the car with you:
- Toys and games for kids
- Special breakable items or collections
- Important documents and records
- Change of clothes and toiletries for your first day
- Vacuum cleaner – if you want to clean right away
- Toilet paper
- First aid kit
- Food kit with bottled water, cereal, bananas
Make travel arrangements for your pets and plants.
Purchase moving insurance if you have valuable antiques and collections.
Have your car tuned up.
- Strip your beds.
- Show movers around. Make sure your possessions to be moved are inventorised with them.
- Get all keys together. Put in a safe spot.
- Make sure moving van driver has correct address, phone number and directions.
- Check all rooms one last time. Remember closets and cupboards, and garage!
- Make sure all windows and doors are locked.